- Fiction - Doctor Who - Shada, by Gareth Roberts / Douglas Adams
- Non-Fiction - 1946 - The Making of the Modern World, by Victor Sebestyen
- Music - Prom 51 - the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra and Marin Alsop
- Museums and Exhibitions - Museum of the Americas in Madrid
- Food and Drink - La Entretenida in Madrid
Other highlights: (Fiction) The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street; (non-Fiction) Admiral Collingwood - Nelson's own hero, A Very Courageous Decision - The Inside Story of Yes Minister, Steaming to Victory, Empire of the Fund, The Secret History of the Blitz; (Music) The Michael Nyman Band at the Barbican, Věc Makropulos, the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra playing Wagner, LSO/Haitink/Mahler 3; (Museums and Exhibitions) Nikolai Astrup at Dulwich, Bosch at the Prado, Segovia, and Valle de los Caídos; (Food and Drink) El Inti del Oro, Madrid. No award for Film and Theatre this year - again I've seen too little of either, and not been bowled over by what I have seen.
It's difficult not to have a sense of foreboding for 2017; but that way, perhaps it can be better than expected. Some tricky times ahead at work, never mind the world at large.