- Fiction - The Gadfly, by E L Voynich
- Non-Fiction - Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss
- Film - Capote
- Music - could it be anything other than The Last Night of the Proms
- Exhibition - China: The Three Emperors 1662-1795 at the Royal Academy
- Food - Shampers
- Drink - Red - Wolf Blass Presidents (sic) Selection, White - Sainsbury's Dry White English Wine
Reviewing my journal shows this has been a rather uneven year: for reading, the non-fiction has been mediocre, whilst other fictional highlights include Death and the Penguin and The Oxford Murders. Musically, an outstanding year: Nixon in China at the Coliseum, more John Adams at the Proms, Shostakovich 's Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk and Film and Jazz music, Bliss' Colour Symphony, Dame Gillian Weir in Copenhagen ... Film-wise, rather dull - though I missed The Queen and Starter for Ten, maybe they will be showing this term at the Reading Film Theatre.