Rules: Each player of this game starts off with 10 weird things/habits/little known facts about yourself. People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 10 weird habits/things/little known facts as well as state this rule clearly. At the end you need to choose 10 people to be tagged and list their names.
I’ll tag a few, but don’t feel obliged to do it if you don’t want.
1. I have a GCSE in Latin. (I was the GCSE generation. It just seems incongruous to be able to do a new qualification in Latin.)
2. Black Wednesday was my 21st birthday. I didn't have anything planned, but hey, the Tories were in trouble, and I didn't have a mortgage - 15% was a good interest rate.
3. The Independent is my newspaper of choice - because, until it went to the compact format, it never split stories in the Private Eye "continued on p.94" manner.
4. The first Proms concert I went to was in 1993. It was a performance of Mahler's sixth symphony.
5. I had not flown or left the country in my first 23 years. Then I had to fly to Frankfurt for work, on the 50th anniversary of VE day, and on the same plane as David Frost who was going off to interview Nick Leeson.
6. But since then, I have carried Semtex onto a plane. (It's a soft drink made in the Czech Republic).
7. Musically, my sight reading is good, but playing from memory is bad.
8. Three favourite works of fiction: Le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, and Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. Though I notice that most of what I read these days is non-fiction.
9. Ostalgie. No, it didn't work, but growing up with Thatcher, Reagan and Gorbachev in charge of the world made me wish it had.
10. Six degrees of freedom. I can make two plausible and independent routes to many world leaders - and neither of them relies on the fact that I went to Oxford. Probably three if you route through nwhyte.
So, I'd be interested to see answers from: gnimmel, lamentables, nwhyte, obnoxious_muso, strange_complex, rosamicula, uitlander, white_hart