- Fiction - The Visible World, by Mark Slouka
- Non-Fiction - It just occurred to me ... The reminiscences & thoughts of Chairman Humph, by Humphrey Lyttelton
- Music - Bernstein and Stevens, who entertained us at our Civil Partnership celebrations
- Exhibition - The Camden Town Group at the Tate
- Food - Uzbekischer Plov at the St Petersburg Restaurant, Dresden
- Drink - English Breakfast Tea at the Altes Pinakothek, Munich
Other highlights: in music, Taraf de Haïdouks at the Cheltenham Festival, Rattle and Haitink at the Proms, an organ recital at the Frauenkirche, Dresden, and Jonathan Miller's production of The Mikado at the Coliseum; in non-fiction, The Silent Traveller in Oxford by Chiang Yee, Postwar by Tony Judt, and Personal Perspectives by Brian Redhead; and in fiction, Call for the Dead by John le Carré. There is no film award this year - I have only seen a handful this year, and none of them were outstanding.