Best of the year:
- Fiction - The Road Home, by Rose Tremain
- Non-Fiction - Red Plenty, by Francis Spufford (if you file it as non-fiction ... I find it a bit difficult to classify)
- Music - Bernard Haitink and Emanuel Ax's Brahms weekend at the Proms
- Film - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- Exhibition - The Doctor Who Experience
No food or drink awards this year: we've eaten well but I don't seem to have recorded anything exceptional.
Other highlights: in Fiction, Twilight Robbery by Frances Hardinge and The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carré; in non-fiction, Gitta Sereny's book on Albert Speer and Superforce by Paul Davies; in music, the LSO/Gergiev and the Royal Stockholm Phil / Alice Sara Ott / Sakari Oramo Proms; and in exhibitions, the Uffizi and the Galileo museum in Florence.
The outlook for 2012 doesn't seem especially cheerful. Let's hope it turns out better than current expectations.